1 Whole Chicken
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, whole
1 tablespoon mustard seed, whole
1 tablespoon coriander, whole
1/2 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon red chile flake
1 ounce Ginger, fresh sliced thin (1/8”)
10 sprig Thyme
1. In a stock pot over medium heat, toast peppercorns, mustard, and coriander seeds, 1-2 minutes.
2. Add water, salt , sugar, red chile flake, and ginger.
3. Turn the heat up to high and bring brine to a full boil, stirring occasionally to completely dissolve the salt and sugar.
4. Once the brine has come to a boil, remove it from heat and add lemons, lemon rinds, and thyme. Steep for at least 15 minutes. (can add ice to quickly cool down the brine)
5. Remove the chicken from its packaging, and wash with very cold water. Dry thoroughly.
6. Place chicken on cutting board skin side up, with legs facing away from you. Remove excess skin around neck
7. Remove the wishbone by scoring along either side of the bone and removing it from the top of the bone with fingers.
8. Flip the chicken over so it’s spine is facing up and legs are facing toward you. Pop the leg joints out of socket at the “hip.”
9. Cut along both sides of the spine from neck to the hip, using an “E brake cut” while holding the knife in pistol grip position.
10. While still maintaining the pistol grip knife hold, twist the tip of the knife into each hip joint to cut the tendon holding the thigh to the bone.
11. Remove spine and set aside
12. Switch to a normal knife grip and score lightly down the length of the keel bone (the bone that holds the breasts together). Pop the keel bone out by running your thumbs down either side to pull away from the membrane. Avoid tearing the breasts.
13. Remove any excess skin around thighs and visible glands around the neck.
14. Place spatchcocked chicken into chilled brine. Brine at least 4-6 hours, ideally 24.
15. Preheat grill to medium high.
16. Remove chicken from brine and dry completely. Spray skin side with vegetable oil spray.
17. Grill skin side down, rotating and repositioning to evenly crisp skin.
18. When skin is crisped, flip skin side up and continue cooking until the internal temperature at the deepest part of the breast registers 165˚ F / 75˚ C
19. Let rest 15 – 20 minutes before carving and serving.